Saturday, October 20, 2007

Excursions

I am preparing to travel to Texas tomorrow for the San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival & Academy. http://www.independentchristianfilms.com

I know I will be placed in a pretty conservative group of people, where I am not quite so... having to sift through the legalism versus truth, and have a clear view of what that truth is, but I know there will be a lot of good teaching as well... Regardless of what I take away from this week, I am thankful for this
opportunity to connect with like minded people, and learn from those
with experience.

Filmmaking is such an important art for Christians to develop, and
something we have been pretty bad at in the past. I don't think it is
something we should do unless we are passionate about the art itself,
and care to do it well.
My desire is that I will be able to make films that ignite the thirst we all feel in our lives, and will lead the viewer to the source of truth, Jesus Christ. That is my hope at least. Just like any art form, it
must be real and from the heart. Humble because the truth needs no
pride. Loving because Christ loved to death. Definitely not contrived.

I am contemplating a quote by C.S. Lewis that I read in the book "Desiring God" by John Piper, because it is so good:

"Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the
staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem
that our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are
halfhearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition
when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go
on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by
the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."
-C.S. Lewis


So what is he trying to say here? Somehow it speaks to me in a rather deep way. Too easily pleased... caught up in doing "good" things when the promise of God is so much greater, to which our "goodness" is only mud in the slum being formed into a pie by a child. There is so much more in store! I thank God for that reminder, because I am far to easily distracted. I need to know that God's pleasure is greater, and I need to find it. I have only begun to ingest the concepts of this book, but just in the first chapter it has me thinking quite a bit. I think I will take it with me on my trip.

And I think I will take my iPod and listen to Falling Up as well. Captiva has me captivated, held in it's grasp of thought and excursion into fields of stars and shipwrecks. Yes there are some really good things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment